Monday, June 19, 2017

Days 93 & 94 - Oswego

Our time in Oswego is dedicated to Bob doing research on his family genealogy and me re-provisioning for Canada but we still got in some nice site seeing.  While Bob visited the court houses, I took a bus trip to Walmart.  I should have had Bob take a picture of me when I got back.  I looked like a pack mule!  At least the bus system is very good and I never had to wait more than a few minutes for a bus and didn't have far to walk back to the boat.  I still couldn't get everything in one trip so Bob went back with me the next day and we BOTH looked like pack mules :)  We are well provisioned now.  I also got some good visiting time with our friends on Ocean Mother and a new Looper friend on Magic.  I also met some wonderful Canadians who have just spent 3 months in the Bahamas and are on their way home.  They gave me all kinds of great advice for when we start that part of our adventure.

I haven't talked much about eating on board - only the few times we eat out.  Keeping expenses to a minimum, just like at home, means eating out is special - usually socializing with a group too big to fit on the boat!  I cook much like I did at home - we had cheese stuffed hamburgers with tomato sauce, grilled mushrooms and a side salad the other night and chicken Marsala the night before that.  (Zucchini in Marsala gravy is awesome!)  On HOT days I grill out and use my thermal cooker or pressure cooker as much as possible.  The thermal cooker is great for rice and pasta - keeps both the heat and humidity to a minimum.  Lunches are usually a sandwich for Bob and some cottage cheese and fruit or an apple and cheese for me.  Breakfast is cereal unless we are in a marina with extra time on our hands :)

This is an incredibly intricate church building that has been re-purposed into a home for seniors - must be Christian run as the cross is still on top.

This one is still a church.


The city hall where Bob tried to get some information - nothing here though :(

This is a county office building. It's interesting that they surrounded the old building with a new "addition"!

This is their beautiful library.  It is a rare example of the Norman Revival Style, popular for only a short period of time using design elements copied from classic Roman buildings.  It was built at a time when public library buildings were just beginning to be celebrated as statements of civic pride and not just utilitarian. Opened in 1857, it is the oldest public library still in its original building!

Docked at the free wall between Lock #7 and #8.  6/16/17 

On to Canada tomorrow!



2 comments:

  1. Let me know how the crossing goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! A bit rolly at first then settled down to nearly flat. Black flies were terrible!! Recommended by others (after the fact) - dryer sheets, skin so soft, battery operated fly swatter. Our therma cell didn't faze them. For the cabin our hand vac worked the best.

      Delete