Monday, March 27, 2017

Day 10 – I Could Have Done Without Today

Current Position: 32° 25' 42" N 80° 40' 57" W

Not a terrible day but I could have done without it, thank you. 

We started out with a quiet morning getting ready to leave the marina.  Sad to go as it was such a nice pretty place.  Bob filled our water tanks, I made sure all the cupboards and doors were secure, we went over to the fuel dock and topped off the fuel tanks and emptied the holding tank.  The docking went very well and then went back through the lock to the river.  Easy peasy! We got underway at 11:40. That’s when things started going sideways. 

  • ·         Bob’s instructions for the day did not print all the way so I took the helm so he could start up the generator to run the printer. 
  • ·         Lunch time, so I went below to make sandwiches.  OH NO!  When we had the water off to empty the holding tank, I’d turned on the galley faucet, realized there was no water and didn’t manage to turn it off L.  To top it off, I always leave the sink plugged to gather water throughout the day.  I use that water to wash dishes after dinner.  Water, water, everywhere!  Bob offered to come help but I knew I could handle it.  Lunch was just delayed.  It took every towel we own, but I got the floor and counters fairly dried out.  The problem was the cupboards under the counter were also flooded and slowly draining back onto my “dry” floor.  Good planning saved all our food in those cabinets as I had sealed everything with my FoodSaver or had it in water proof containers.
  • ·         The wind was stronger than anticipated, but not bad.  We were hit by one STRONG wake from a catamaran that actually threw a rooster tail!  We were really rocking.
  • ·         Coming into our planned anchorage, we realized the hard way that it had shoaled in.  Bob was watching our depth so as soon as we started to ground, he threw it in reverse and successfully got us off.  We chose another anchorage but grounded again getting out of the first one.  He successfully got us off that one too.  I wasn’t even nervous!  He handled it so well.

We anchored in a fairly open area and a bit choppy, but lots of other boats around.  It made me feel so much better when the people that came in after us took longer to set their anchor than we did.  We have towels hanging everywhere on the boat.  I fixed an easy dinner of French toast and sausage as I’m worn out.  Didn’t even get pictures today!  So sorry.

We will keep the boat here tomorrow and take the dinghy into town (Beaufort, SC) and play tourist.

We will persevere!

PS = the wind has died down = good ending to a rough day.


Anchorage just south of Beaufort, SC city dock.

3 comments:

  1. When you get here I want to see the anchorages on the map. Some may work for us as we are 4 ft draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We anchoraged just south of the mooring field, another trawler between us and the mooring field. Depth 15-22ft. I need to find an map app that I can share.

      Delete