Friday, March 24, 2017

Day 6 - Rockin' and a Rollin'

Current Position: 32° 39' 57" N 80° 17' 12" W

How many of you remember the childhood rhyme =
“One misty, moisty morning, when cloudy was the weather,”?
I rewrote it to “One wild, wondrous, morning, when windy was the weather,”



























It’s always a good to know feeling that your boat can handle something rough.  We are not sure how high the waves or swells were but Captain Bob and The Good Life worked well together to get us across the bay? at Charleston. It was so bumpy that I stayed below making bread.  Not sure what to call the “bay” – it's where 3 rivers = Wando, Ashley and Cooper – join before going out to sea.
We had to time leaving Charleston to go through a “cut” at the right flow of the tide so the current wouldn’t be too strong.  It was perfect!  From there we went under a draw bridge.  



We didn’t need it to be raised but the sailboat in front of us did so we got to watch the show.  We saw mostly sailboats today. The next bridge – a swing this time was pivoted in the middle instead of the side like our first two swing bridges. Like the first bridge, we did not need it raised, but the sailboat and fishing boat behind us did.  It is a very busy waterway with lots of boats coming and going. 
We went from a large body of water to a narrow one and finally onto the widest “creek” we have ever been on.  It’s wider than most “rivers”. 



The names of the waterways here are just as fun as the Indian names back home in Washington: Wappoo Creek, Wadmalaw River, and finally, my favorite and our anchorage last night – Toogoodoo Creek.  We actually saw houses around us; well three anyway!  We wanted to take the dinghy out for a spin but the winds were just too strong for Nervous Nellie (me :P). 







Thank goodness the winds died down when we went to bed and it was a very quiet night.
On a side note, I think I got sea sick.  I didn’t have the normal symptoms, just nauseous for several days. At first I thought it was stress, but even if I didn’t feel stressed, the nausea didn’t go away, so I dug out my patches and put one on.  No more nausea!  I did, however; want to sleep all day and had a cotton mouth so bad that I drank water, and drank water, and drank water.  Needless to say, the night might have been quiet but I was up and down all night anyway L.  I finally got so tired of the tiredness and cotton mouth that I took the patch off.  So far today, I’m fine.
Tomorrow we will be at Hilton Head Island just outside Savannah, GA.  There we will stay in a Marina for two days and meet up with friends from our Japan tour (40 years ago – ouch!)  We may stay longer if we find more things to see, but we’ll move to an anchorage.


Anchorage just east of the ICW on Toogoodoo Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment