Friday, April 21, 2017

Days 32 & 33 - Seagulls Masquerading as Crab Pots

Current Position: 35° 19' 32" N  76° 37' 58" W

It makes such a big difference if we are going into the swells, with the swells or the swells are hitting us sideways.  With the swells is the best as we were most of the way today.  Only the last hour was a bit rough.  First time I’ve been queasy since the beginning of our journey.  I think it’s because I started eating lunch right as it got rough.  I used EZ Motion oils (smells like mostly Lavender) and when that didn’t work, I put on the Sea Bands.  They are wrist bands that use pressure points to control the nausea.  That seemed to help and I ate a light dinner.

I forgot to give you the answer to the cage question in my last post.  Did you get the right answer?  It’s a cage for a carrier pigeon.  They had to carry it with them so they could release it with its message to fly home (they are also called “homing” pigeons).
We bounced around a our anchorage for quite a while, but it finally calmed down in the evening and we had a quiet night.

Anchored in Lower Creek

35 5 19 76 36 30
Current Position: 35° 5' 19" N  76° 36' 30" W

We saw so few boats on the water yesterday that it was quite a surprise to see so many today!  There was quite a parade for a while and then a steady stream for the rest of the morning. 



Pamlico River and Sound were very nice to us today and was smooth the whole trip (other than the wakes of passing boats).  As we approached our anchorage for the night we ran into a VERY shallow area.  Did not run aground but were in 3 1/2 ft of water.  Too close for comfort.  We found deeper water, but knowing the water around us was so shallow, we had to stay in the "channel".  This proved quite difficult as there were crab pots scattered all around us that we had to dodge.   Bob did a great job of dodging while I was look out at the same time as keeping an eye on our depth.  I spotted a pot straight ahead of us and warned Bob - only to have it fly away!  There was a group of seagulls looking just like crab pot.  Wish all the crab pots were so accommodating.  We are safely anchored in a nice cove with plenty of swing room.  Houses are scattered around us but no internet or phone.

Tomorrow we are headed to the free dock at Oriental then on to New Bern!  So excited to meet bunches of “Loopers”.

Anchored in Broad Creek off Bay River

PS - Posting this from Oriental - at a coffee shop as there is still no cell coverage and I can't get the wi-fi to work at the marina.  I forgot to load my pictures first - oops! There were only a few so I'll add them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment